Monday, July 2, 2012

The Female Regents






























The world  of Regents in south west Yoruba land
In the South West  of Yorubaland  Ondo state are Regents who act  briefly  as the traditional heads of their towns or communities  pending the installation of a new monarch. While some are smiling and enjoying the role others are suffering in silence. Taiwo Abiodun  had a chat with some regents who  relive their experience
  
In some  towns in Yoruba land  South West  Nigeria , when  a King dies , a woman  is  temporary  installed  on  the throne  as a caretaker  in order not to leave the throne vacant     until another monarch is  installed.       This tradition is strict and all rules attached to it are religiously followed to the letter. The Regents  are expected to dress and act like  a male because though they are women they are occupying seats meant  for men  and so  from their dressing  to their actions they are men . Some believe  it is a fanfare and juicy position, a thing of joy but  many are crying  aloud that they are fed up and want to go back to their former lives.
   The Oloba of  Uso[December 10,2011-Date]
‘My father did not set his eyes on my baby a month before he died because of tradition’
Princess Adekemi Folashade Olijogun [Nee Oyinbade] is 31 years old. She is about 5 feet tall, and dark in  complexion.   She graduated from Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo, Ondo state where she bagged   Higher National Diploma in Accountancy. Presently she is a staff of a Federal Government Agency, the  NESTREA , Akure . She  became a  Regent of Uso ,near Akure on December 10, 2011,
Ascension to the throne
She said ‘’My father died in September 30, 2011 and I was unanimously picked by  the family and  the chief makers after consulting the Ifa Oracle .I  was installed  on the 10th of December 2011 after performing the necessary rites. They placed akoko leaves  on my head and gave me some kolanuts to chew while I chanted some incantations .Later I was given the position  to sit on the throne of my father and this  I believe is temporary.’’
Her Responsibility
On the job she has been doing , she said’’ As a community leader and head  I have been acting as a man since then .I settle disputes , and offer  advise where necessary. However I do all these with the assistance of my chiefs who are more  knowledgeable , well versed in culture and they all  people of integrity. They are highly supportive and understanding.
Marriage
 The Regent who got married in 2009  has one kid  but  prays for the community to  install a new monarch in order to let her have time for her family and have more kids .She said’’ The stool of Regency does not permit a Regent to have babies while  on the throne .That is why I am praying for the community to quickly produce their new monarch and  be left  off the hook. The position   is not as easy as people thought of. I am  always busy throughout  as I attend meetings with governors and the government  officials  
Husband
She said  her husband is in support of her position. ’’I appreciate my husband .He is a man of culture ,he  treats me like a Regent in the public and gave me the necessary accolades and respect an oba should have .He prostrates for me and calls me kabiyesi .   But in our matrimonial home I give him  full respect and honour. He  was consulted first and he gave me full support.
Dressing
According to the custom,  it is compulsory to  be wearing men’s clothes  since I am in a man’s shoe. Though this is not a surprise to me because I was used to wearing  Jeans trousers  before now .And I grew up in the palace , so finding myself in that position  is not hard to cope with,  it is simple as per dressing .  
Difficulties
 What pained the Regent most is that her father did not see her baby   before he died .My late father did not see my baby before  he died. My baby was one month old before his demise .I can’t imagine for my  father not to see , carry my baby  in his arms .He only saw  the picture of my baby since it is forbidden for a king to see a newly born baby until it is three months old. I am pained .But that is part of our culture and I have no choice or option than to accept.
After three months of being a Regent  she discovered that the position is not as easy and glamorous as many thought .’’ I discovered that the position is a hot seat .Many people  come in to either glance at me  and test  my  integrity but I always demand for God’s guidance and knowledge like the Biblical King Solomon. They   criticize you and talk about you , annoy you and yet want to get closer to you. So as  the father of the community I take everything with maturity.

2  The Kalasuwe    of Apoi –[March 13 2011-Date]
Princess Joyce Adesola Ibimidun Oladiran-Ebiseni
‘I missed my NGO’
Princess Joyce Adesola Ibimidun Oladiran-Ebiseni is in her late 40s. She is  one of the several daughters of Oba Samuel Adetimehin Oladiran - Ugele Udum III who joined his ancestors in 2007. Here , we have the Ijaws and the Yorubas speaking people
Why Regency is practiced
 According to Kalasuwe of Apoi  ‘‘’The tradition believes  that a  married woman   or  a single lady should be made a Regent instead of a male, for it is assumed  that  a male might not want to leave as he may transform himself to be king .It had happened in one of the towns before. But if  a married woman or spinster  is enthroned she will be yearning to go back to her husband and family while a spinster   will be yearning to get married and start her own family.’’
Oladiran-Ebisesni spoke about her late father ‘’The late Oba Oladiran was a Manager of the UAC when at the age of 35years, he was installed the Kalasuwe in 1955. He held several positions which. included member of the Federal House of Representatives in the First Republic; President Ese - Odo District Council as paramount ruler, President Ese Odo Customary Court and a member of the western State Committee on Local Government Reforms 1974.
Why Regents should not give birth on the throne
The Regent shed light on why Regents should not have babies on the throne ‘’ it is because  in the future , the child may want to  impose himself and believes he has authority like others to become an oba, forgetting that his mother  was adele  or caretaker
The first Regent in the community
Princess Obimidun Oladiran-Ebiseni  became  the first Regent in the history of the community  last year March. She was unanimously chosen to lead the Apoi/Ijaw communities until another monarch is picked.
Contrary to the olden days idea and some people’s thought that most regents   are not well read ,Oladiran- Ebiseni  debunked the claim and said ‘’I   graduated from the Federal Polytechnic Ado- Ekiti where I  read Business Administration. I  later  proceeded to the University of  Lagos where I studied  Political Science .
‘’I was  appointed twice by the Chairman of Ese - Odo Local Government as Special Adviser on Legislative Matters; Women and Special Duties between 2000 and 2003.
Currently  I am   the Executive Director of the Centre for the Rehabilitation of Exceptional Persons (CREP), a Non-Governmental Organization committed to the plight of the Less - privileged.
Speaking different dialects  
She said , ‘’The Apois are Yoruba speaking Ijaws,  the Apois are a foremost tribe of Immemorial existence found in the Niger Delta spreading from Bayelsa to Ondo State. The Apois has nine  principal communities of Sabomi, Oboro, Kiribo, Igbobini, Igbekebo, Inikorogha, Ojuala, Igbotu and Ipoke are a Federation with each having its own Oba with Kalasuwe as paramount ruler.
The stool of the Kalasuwe was among the earliest recognized by the Europeans. At the compilation of list of recognized Nigerian traditional rulers in 1924, the Kalasuwe also known as the "Oba of Ijaws" was among the highest ranked. It is the foremost among the Ijaws. While there are noticeable and unmistakable Ijaw traits in their festivals, the Apois, mostly by the names and absolutely by language, are Yoruba speaking.
Experience /Duties
’With  the assistance of my chiefs and community  elders  I have settled many disputes. In fact, I  am spending more money  contrary to the people’s thought that I will be receiving more. But I must confess that   it shows that what a man can do a woman can also do better. I am the first Regent in the land and I am
highly supported. My husband calls me Kabiyesi.
Dressings
When I became the Regent  I then started wearing  male’s clothing materials
 I have over 200 Yoruba male flowing gowns [agbada], and many male  traditional caps from gombo, abeti aja, Since I have become a man  then I have to dress and act like one.

Regrets
I  have served my people and my conscience is clear. I want the kingmakers to quickly choose their monarch and for me to go back to my family. I want to go back to my family . I am missing my family and children especially.
What pains me most is the NGO I left behind . I have little time for the NGO , but that notwithstanding for I still take the sick  to the hospital which I had been doing before  I was called to become the Regent. I don’t like the idea of fighting over the  obaship title , the right family should be  installed.

   The Onidoani of Idoani [2010-Date.]
Adetutu Atewogboye , Alani of Idoani
‘It has affected my studies’
She is in her early 20s and   a  final year  student of History. at Adekunle Ajasin University , Akungba, Akoko in Ondo state. She  became the Regent in 2010 immediately after the death of her father, who was the Onidoani of Idoani ‘’ I am  from the family of eight I assumed the position on the 12th of March
I just came to the throne , I  was then  a student of History Education in 100level second semester I am now in my final year. She is doing her Teaching practical at African Comprehensive  High School , Alagbaka, Akure.   
How  she is being treated
As a Regent , she is accorded all the respects given to a king  , she said ‘’They respect me in the class , they treat me like a king and i attend many meetings with the high and the low in the society. I still mingle with  my colleagues in the class  But I  don’t run around with them again. I am always decked in coral beads which is the symbol   of a King
Constraints
I am restricted to a lot of things especially social life  , like the way  I  was before 
 I felt embarrassed when the elderly people prostrate for me .My first time on the throne was full of embarrassment as elderly people prostrated for me  to greet me

Marriage
 The Regent however prays to marry in the future and says  God’s time  is the best.
I don’t  believe one should have sex as it has been part of the condition one has to fulfil. I believe God’s time is the best. Yes, i do have feelings , i am human being but still I have to wait till when I am  ready’’.
Regrets
The Regent to the The Onidoani of Idoani believes  the position of Regency entails a lot of sacrifices , she said’’ my lecturers quite understand my position and i thank them for this . On my performance it has affected my Cumulative  Grade Point, it is low . But  this is my father’s throne and i think it is part of sacrifice I have to pay for my community and our culture..
Advice to the younger ones
Atewogboye has this to say ‘’ I  could see young girls admiring me and praying to become a Regent. But let me confess that it is not an easy thing .Before you know it you would  have developed grey hair because of the stress it involved. It is all by the grace of God’’






Alale of Akungba[2004-Date]Princess Adejoke Adekanye
‘I  am tired of this Regency ‘
Ascension to the throne
The Nation met her in jeans trousers ,  she was in her shop drawing sketches of some dressing .She is in her early 30s and contrary to her thought that she would not spend up to one or two years she is spending more than eight years on the throne . ‘’I have spent over  eight years as a Regent  I  became a Regent  three months after the demise of my   father. My father died  in 2003 December . Three  months later, March,  I  was enthroned as the Regent’’
According to her she is the last daughter  in the family ,’’I was picked because my  two elders sisters  had married and were  not interested  in the position .I firstly rejected the offer. 
 I was used to the palace and closer to the community, ‘’I became a Regent when my father died and  it is over eight years now that no king is enthroned.
they have not chosen a candidate,’’
Why she stays in Akure
According to her , she lives most of her life in Akure, the capital of Ondo state  because of  her fashion business there. ‘’I live mostly in Akure because  of the fashion house I have there. I am a trained lawyer , I finished my Law programme two years ago but have not gone to Law School   which I pray to go later. I used to travel and this does not have any negative effect ,I have chiefs and kingmakers  who are on ground to do most of the things for the town
Anxious to marry
‘’I   am still single. I am not married yet and I hope to marry soon .In fact that is one of the impediments in this culture thing .We have the rules that one should not get married while on the throne and should not even give birth to any kid. For me, I think they should come and   have another monarch for me to be  set free , to go  and  get married. There is nothing much to gain in this position only the respect and honour being accorded to  the seat   , that is all’’.
Problems
She is not free as usual before she assumed the position of  Regency. ’’Now, I am restricted  from  going out , I cannot go to parties as usual .There are places I cannot go anyhow again. I select where to go. I attend meetings after meetings .I hardly have time for myself. This Regency is  not  a position for a young lady to stay for long , that is why I say they could cancel it in the future  and a time will come when people will be running away from it. Any lady that thinks  of becoming a Regent must  be a foolish person ,Before my father died  I never thought  of becoming a Regent in my life Any position that doesn’t make one free  is not good  for a  young lady. I have gone to them in Akungba  to tell them to either pick another Regent or chose their king ,It is not that the town is contributing money for me , even the state government is not taking care of Regent .In a situation where Regents are given 50per cent  of  what a monarch earns! I am not making money from the throne’’
Again  I should not shake hands with anybody except the governor or the president and except  I stretch my hands.I remember when I rejected  a handshake and I was told that I was proud. Even Governor Mimiko knows
How I survive
For the Law trained Regent , she survives  through hard work and with some connections she had .’’I do business, I have a fashion house , I know people very well , well connected with the rich who will help and they do help me ‘’
 Sex
Oh , that question I cannot answer .Whether I have sex or not .Please that is personal. I cannot tell you. But remember that I am a woman being like you.
Mistakes
Though she said she is cautious but once a while forgets to cover hear head‘’By tradition  Regent should not leave their head open but there  was a time I had already forgotten that I  did not cover my head ,I had already left the car but I quickly dashed into the car to cover my head.
Future plans
I  read Law from  Adekunle Ajasin  University, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo state  and I completed my programme   two years ago. I have not gone  to Law School and I do hope to go possibly when a new king is installed.
Regrets
The trained lawyer cum fashion  designer seems not to be happy with her single status as  she is staying longer than necessary on the throne , she has this to say ‘’I  am not happy for I want a situation  where a new King would be installed   and I will be free from all these royal thing. When I was installed I was told that the Regency would   not take time and could be say like two or four years but it eventually extended to over eight years now. There is controversies over  who is to be installed  that is why they have not chosen the king. I want it done as quickly as possible ‘’
 The Odoka of Ogbaro kingdom , Ilaje
Princess Aderonke Ajimisogbe Efurubu(2010-Date)
‘My children call me Daddy’
She is about 47 years old and  a senior Nursing sister  in Ilaje Local government She says her children call her Daddy..
How she got to the Throne
She got to the throne  on the 6th of November 2010 after the demise of  the late monarch Oba Anthony Olabode  Koredatomola Ogbaro of Ogbaro Kingdom  who died  in July 2, 2010.She said ‘’ my ascension to the throne is through divine intervention. I was not only the contestant, we are many but I was   picked  by the people of the town and highly supported by the chiefs. They picked me on merit , integrity, respect and dignity .This seat is a revered one and therefore it is a person of high integrity that  they really want to be there. To qualify as a Regent here one must come from the family of Ogbaro   Kingdom or related to the family. I am  recognized by the state government and they do pay my salary.
New life
She said she has been living a new  life since she  became a Regent ,’’Yes, I wear male’s clothes. I go about with my whisk and wear cap like a man too. My children are now calling me ‘Daddy’. My husband supported me and he too greets me not by prostrating but by   rubbing his hands  and would say Kabiyesi .My chiefs would   greet me by using their hands  as if paddling a canoe while some would give an acrobatic display to greet me .My mother would kneel down to greet me while women too would be on their kneels to greet me.
Duties
According to her  she had been performing her roles as a temporary  monarch ‘’ I have been settling disputes among the warring parties in my community with the assistance of my God given chiefs who are loyal to me .I settle land cases and cases between  husbands and wives’’
Dos and Don’ts
For the  new Regent, she has so many things to  keep away from,’’  It is forbidden for me  to go to the market to buy things on my own .I  must not eat white snail, and it is forbidden for me to eat  whale and dolphin fishes. Not only this  I must not eat yam  unless  it  is ordered at the right  time.
Fear
According to her , she  nurses no fear  whether her husband would have another wife since she is no longer staying at home like before .’’If my husband marries another woman I  don’t worry since I know I must not have sex or bear children while on the throne temporarily .’’  
Mistakes
It took her  time before she could adjust to wearing male’s clothes  , she said ‘’ I remember that not once or twice that I would have wore my female’s clothes before I realized that I am a ‘man’ so  I would go back into my room to change .But now I am used to it. I missed tying my wrappers ’’
Regrets
I have no regrets so far, the state government is wonderful and has been paying my salary. I am recognized by the government

No comments:

Post a Comment