Monday, October 29, 2012

Sheila Solarin and Taiwo Abiodun

Madam Sheila and Taiwo Abiodun in one of her interviews

Sheila  Solarin
   I failed to fullfil my promise to Mama
Taiwo  Abiodun a reporter at The Nation recounts his numerous encounters with  Madam Sheila Solarin who  passed on last Sunday
I shall pass   through this world but once;
Any good  therefore that I can do  , or any kindness that I can show  my fellow creature ,
Let me do it now , let me not defer it  or neglect it
For I shall not pass this way again
___________Etienne De Grellet(1773-1855 )

‘’ Babalawo , do  you have Tai Solarin’s children’s cell number? I heard that Mama Sheila is dead , please help us to confirm’’,  Kofo  Osagie a colleague from  the office called my cell phone  last Sunday. Immediately   I heard the name Babalawo  I knew it was from the office, for that is what they call me. Grief, shock and   confusion enveloped me . I   was   shivering like Christmas goat and unstable like a floated leaf on waters. My   cell phone   almost dropped from my hand as if I am suffering from Parkinson syndrome. I   called Corin’s   line   the first child of the Solarins. ’’Confirmed ‘’, she replied in a text message .I wept like a baby. This was  the second time I  would weep in my life .The first  time  was when my mother died at 79  and that was  five years ago and this is the second .When my father died in 1985 at the age of 96, I did not weep.
I broke down and tears cascaded down my cheeks. Mama  is  dead? Few hours later   I started receiving   calls from  home and abroad asking me the full details and her last hours  as if I was there when she breathed her last. When I got to the office the next day   some of my colleagues including Joe Agbro ,  Udezie  Edozie  , Yemi  Ajayi , Ronke Rafiu. Pa Yemi Abiodun, my elder brother called from Akure among others started   consoling me . In fact I received over 30calls. I now believed that I am one of her adopted children .
Yes!,  I had interviewed her several times . I had spent a whole day with her   times without number ,in fact we had become family members as I too shared  my problems with her aside from the official job. 
I used to ask her many questions from sense to non sense , civilized to  uncouth,  foolish or wise yet she would  not turn me down. I have asked about   her  romantic life when she was young,  the medical problem she ever faced and she told me it was cervical cancer. I told her that I am a friend to her parrot as I sighted the parrot in her house,  she too told me that we were the same thing. I have demanded from her why she did not use walking stick , she replied ‘’ I don’t  need it’’. I have asked  her  why she kept  Ghanaians ,Togolese in her house , and she replied   ‘’ what is wrong in that  Taiwo? . They are okay’’.
 Where is your  pet dog   Rosa? I once asked her , as I used to tell her that she was like the Nursery Rhythm of Mary’s lamb that goes with her anywhere Mary goes , but Mama would jocularly  tell me that she was Sheila  and not Mary and Rosa  her dog  is not a lamb  too .The  giant dog, Rosa later died due to old age .
I have asked her why she did not have gate in her house[there is now] and she replied ‘’ I have nothing  thieves would steal here’’. I once asked her who owns   the herd of cows in the school and she replied ‘’ they belong to  my son ,Tunde and that is his business , I keep to my house here he too keeps to his business nobody disturbs another’’. I remember I asked her why she uses eye glasses and hearing aids she replied ‘’ I cannot hear very well again and I cannot see very well again .What of you Taiwo?’’
I remember she asked me to bring my twin brother if truly I am a twin , and  I told him that my twin brother, Kehinde  is still alive but    far away in Canada but  she said ‘’ that is what Yoruba will say when they have no twin brother or sister again, anyway let us meet one day or do you want me to come to Owo? , she jocularly   asked , and i promised to bring my twin brother ,Kehinde to know her .Unfortunately the woman never lived up to see him!.
Call her a stubborn agitator   , tag her a non- realist. Label her an atheist , in fact she is a proud  woman and a gift to Nigeria  and  should be called  the Biblical Deborah  who fought for the Israelites.
Anytime I mentioned   the former Head of state General Babangida  she would say ‘’ I cannot forgive him, he contributed to my husband’s death. Babangida   incarcerated my husband for months  just because  he was fighting for a just cause. Where are the leaders of yesteryears? But has he come here to tender apology?’’, she would ask.
 I asked her why she did not go to Church on one Sunday morning   when I went to interview her, she responded ’’  And why did you come  here on Sunday morning when you know I should be in church. Church? I don’t go to Church. I am an atheist .I am always busy ’’. And when I told her it has been long since I went to church she was excited and   gave me a parting gift  , a book titled  Humanism By Barbara Smoker. Apart from this I have   eight  books she always gave me anytime I go there for an interview in my library.
She was simple, approachable, loyal, humble  and down to earth  .Unlike the so called some  affluent and arrogant  Nigerians who you  have to fill  form, wait endlessly , and walk carefully  in their ill- gotten wealth living rooms ,and chose your words before you can interview  them. In   fact with their sheer arrogance would even cancel the interview as if they are gods.
Till she died Mama was still teaching  old people on how to read and write .She later abandoned the class and converted   her motor garage into a classroom as she could no longer trek to the school again. Till her death she used to mark errors found in newspapers, as she once   confided in me   that Nigerian papers are riddled with errors but they are trying .
Now that  I  , sorry, we, have lost a mother , it is good for us all to give her the last respect and celebrate her. This was a woman who chose poverty lifestyle for our sake. She left the comfort of life in Britain  for Nigeria where the roads are  bad, no electricity, no  security of life  and  where there is no respect for human dignity.
Goodnight Mama , Good night Tai’s wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment