Wednesday, July 27, 2011

How i was raped

















‘How an okada rider raped me ’
A 34- year- old woman who is still looking for the fruit of the womb narrated how she was raped by an okada rider. Taiwo Abiodun reports

A 34-year old woman, Aisha [surname withheld] was allegedly raped by a commercial motorcycle rider known as Okada [names withheld]. The woman who is a food vendor and selling food to travellers at Owo/Ikare express junction , in Owo , Ondo state said when she closed at 11pm on that fateful Friday she without knowing what the man had in mind took Okada from the Ikare Junction to Shagari Village which is about 2kilometres. Along the way the Okada rider pretended that he was pressed by nature and wanted to urinate. He then dragged the woman into a nearby bush, threatened to kill her if she refused to cooperate with him.
According to the woman, she resisted his attempt but when he started beating her and inflicted injuries on her and also threatened to kill her if she did not cooperate she had no choice than to yield to his demand. Aisha said after much struggle and resistance she later succumbed to her demand after a lot of resistance and after she had been injured but when he was exhausted and satisfied himself she fled the area and took a bush path home .She got home at 3am in the morning leaving all what he took along behind..
On the following day the Okada rider came with Aisha’s coolers to the estate to lodge a complaint that the owner of the cooler stole his okada , not knowing that the whole estate had been informed of the incidence , from there he was apprehended and reported to the police.
Narrating her experience in pidgin English, she said ‘’ we were three in number and the Okada man first of all carried the two kids and came back to pick me .But when we got to the middle of the road which is bushy , the man told me that he wanted to urinate, I said ok, later he dragged me with force and said he wanted to have carnal knowledge with me but I bluntly refused.. He then seized me , and held my throat and dragged me into a nearby bush while I was shouting ,and did not se anybody to rescue me since it was already dark and the place is a bush and far from the town .He threatened to kill me if I resist , then to avoid killing me for I don’t know what he had on him I quickly removed my undies and clothes and submitted myself for him . He was just banging and banging me and I kept on crying .I even begged him to come to my house if he needed sex.
‘’When he satisfied himself and was exhausted I took my clothes, leaving my coolers and other things behind and fled by taking a bush path home . I got home at 3oclock in the morning , and reported to my mistress what happened .On the second day the man came to the estate and reported that I stole his okada not knowing that some Mobile Policemen who passed by while having sex with me in the bush took away the bike and kept it. On the following day, they reported at Ijebu-Owo Division One police station that they found the okada on the expressway in the early hours of the morning .’’
Aisha told The Nation that the okada rider later came to destroy one of buildings in the estate believing Aisha must had planned for him, not knowing that it had been taken to the police station.
However, when this reporter got to the scene of the incidence with other sympathisers , the victim broke down and wept .She said she was once married and had been looking for the fruit of the womb , she broke down and wept uncontrollably saying that she is still looking up to God and said ‘’I am looking up God for a child and this stupid boy just came to rape me.’’.
The woman in tears showed sympathizers her bruised neck that had turned red.
When The Nation got to the police station, it was confirmed while the police said they have gone to the place of the scene while the okada and the victim’s clothes had been deposited in their premises as an exhibit. The suspect has been detained at the Police station
However , investigation revealed that cases of rape and defilement are rampant in Owo for some time. A case of a six year old girl who was defiled was reported , while a 12 and a 15-year old girl who were allegedly raped were reported too , while all had been reported at the police station.
Madam Comfort Olufunmilayo Aderibigbe a member of the National Council for Women in Nigeria and also member of Citizenship and leadership of Nigeria cum Women Leader in the church .decried the rate of raping and destroying lives of these innocent and begged the government to bring the culprits to book saying it would serve as deterrent to others. She said ‘’it is now very rampant even we have cases of six year old girl being raped .We heard so many cases of women being raped and this is not good for the country. We want the human rights organisation to wade into these cases, it is violation of human right. What if those raped had contracted diseases?’’

No comments:

Post a Comment