Monday, May 9, 2011

A Day with Agbako, no, Charles Olumod


A Day with Agbako, no, Charles Olumo

By Taiwo Abiodun

His gentlemanly character could melt a stone- hearted man and could make a beautiful woman say ‘I do’ .He gesticulates and smiles once in a while .He frowns his face as if acting on stage and with all his energy he speaks , that is Agbako

Agbako , now 81years had been off the theatre stage for sometime as he unfortunately met the real Agbako [evil]when few years ago he battled the dreaded ailment - stroke as his mouth , one hand and one leg were paralysed while the rumour went round the town that he had died.

‘’I was sick and it was God that rescued me from the fangs of death .The stroke affected my speech, my hand and my leg. Eventually I was cured after using local herbs. It is the local herbs that saved my life when other drugs failed’’, he said as he shook his body and with voice raised then said ’’ We still have powerful and potent local herbs that can treat serious ailment .Now, I am hail and hearty. I am unshakeable as I am as strong as Iroko tree. I do not know where they got the news that I was dead from’’, he said in annoyance and again shook his body to prove that he is healthy to the admiration of those present.

Olumo is not happy at all for being neglected and abandoned by his professional colleagues in his trying period when he was sick ,according to him he did not see any of his professional colleagues to assist him when he needed then most when he suffered stroke, ’’I saw only my family members and my people who are my professional colleagues did see me when I had stroke but thank God that I was able to overcome the problem. I sold all my property to treat myself.’’

The much ‘dreaded’ artiste said at his age when he should be resting he is still working hard in order to keep body and soul together due to poverty.’’I am still struggling that is why I am still driving my crew to locations .I cannot hire a driver due t o my poor financial status. Where will I have the money to pay the driver?’’He beat his chest boastfully and said he covers thousands of kilometres within and outside the country.

,His words ‘’ What has age got to do with money? I have no money to pay driver though I am 81years old but I still drive thousand of kilometres to the neighbouring countries like Cotonou Lome, and within Nigeria all because I cannot afford to pay for a driver’’, he said ,pointing to his Bus parked outside the premises. The Bus has his artwork of him printed on it and the name Charles Olumo Agbako inscribed on it. ’’I have not completed the house I have been building since all these years, and it shows my poverty level .It is a pity.’’ ,he affirmed revealing his financial status.

‘’Nobody knows me here, nobody knows me here in this country, Nigeria, but when I go to foreign countries I am appreciated’’ was his reply when he was told about his fame and popularity in Nigeria.

Reminded that some of the artistes do partake in hard drug to feel high and face the large audience while on stage, but Agbako denied his involvement saying he had never touched narcotics in his life, said he ‘’I don’t take alcohol or smoke Igbo to feel high. If you see me at times you will think I am a dunce

‘’On voodooism he said he does not practice voodooism as he does not believe in it as he only acts it but not real, In fact I don’t seek fame through juju ‘’

he stressed further that he does not believe in voodooism because he is a devoted muslim cleric.

Speaking about women, he admitted that the female counter parts do appreciate him and flock round him but says that does not mean he womanizes , according to him women loved him but he runs away from them , ‘’at 81, what do I want again from women ?Nothing ‘’ .I have two wives but one died last year so I am left with one,’’ he told The Nation.

While some artistes would like their children to toe their lines and step into their parents’ shoes , Olumo said he does not want at all ‘’I have children and I want them to go to school not to into the theatre world. No, Never ‘’ he stated in an anger as he said he had nothing to show for it .’’There is no money in it , I cannot deny the fame but they did not appreciate me here in Nigeria.My children must go to school at all costs’’ , he repeated it many times.

For Charles Olumo he has produced and acted countless number of works but the one that shot him into t he limelight is the role he played in a film called AIYE where he acted as Bad man and house maid to the witches

How do we remember you when you are gone ? The Nation asked, Olumo looked at this reporter and charged “ I am a poor man , just remember me for me works ‘’

The name Agbako means danger,Bad man or the evil one, with this many believe meeting or seeing him connotes danger and means ill luck , no wonder he is dreaded outside and people run away from him. He however recounts his own experience as he said he faces embarrassment anywhere he goes he said ;‘ each time I entered a public transport the passengers would immediately disembark from the bus leaving only me in the vehicle.’’I remember many times when I am sighted in the public Bus , all the passengers would scream and say’’ Ah, this is Agbako !, and then disembark from the vehicle while I would be left speechless. It had happened several times leaving me in total embarrassment..

If you call him Charles Olumo he may not answer but would quickly respond to Agbako if called but the man who gave himself the stage name said he loves the man, and said though his parents did not christen him Agbako that but he gave himself when he was young when his classmates were giving themselves nicknames, he in an effort to distinguish himself then label himself Agbako. Defending the niuckname he said ‘’ I had wanted to carve a niche for myself when my friends were giving themselves nick names, I thought what I wanted to be called and picked the name Agbako since then it has stuck on me ‘’

Asked to demonstrate how he acts on stage, Charles Olumo immediately became charged and changed, and before you say Jack Robinson he had ‘transformed’ into Agbako as he went into action and grew wild .He became charged like a wounded lion , stood still as if electrocuted then suddenly moved forward and backward ,grew wild with grimed face ,gesticulated and in coarse voice , he said; leave me alone ,my own meat is poisonous for you. My skin is maggot so you cannot have me as your delicacy, I say l eave me alone.

As you are reading this story May you meet Charles Olumo and not Agbako[amen]

No comments:

Post a Comment